VSA Nonprofit Employee Scholarships
Nonprofit Employee Scholarships
Victoria Stilwell Academy (VSA) provides scholarships to its Dog Trainer Course for individuals who are employees of nonprofit and/or charitable institutions which provide animal-related care and services. Examples of qualifying institutions include animal rescue shelters, service dog training and placement organizations, and animal humane societies. The Nonprofit Employee Scholarship provides a 10% discount off the regular tuition. The Scholarship discount covers tuition only, and does not include any out-of-pocket expenses incurred by students such as travel, hotel, or meals.
All applicants must be able to provide proof that:
- they are currently a paid employee of a Qualified Institution and has been for at least ninety days prior to VSA application.
- they work at least 20 hours per week as a paid employee of a Qualified Institution.
- the Qualified Institution meets VSA’s stated criteria (listed below).
To qualify for a VSA Nonprofit Employee Scholarship, applicants must first apply for standard enrollment in VSA’s Dog Trainer Course and check the box on that application that they intend to apply for the Scholarship. Applicants should then complete the Scholarship Application below.
What is a ‘Qualified Institution’?
A Qualified Institution is defined as an entity which meets all of the following criteria:
- The entity must be a 501(c)(3) (for U.S. entities), a Registered Charity (for U.K. entities), or similar classification (for all other international entities) and/or is recognized at the state and/or national level as an nonprofit entity for tax and practical purposes.
- The entity’s primary purpose and published mission is to provide animal care, rescue, training, rehabilitation or other animal-related services.
- The entity must have been in formal existence (as recognized at the state and/or national level in writing) for a minimum of 2 years prior to applicant’s application.
How to Apply
To apply for VSA’s Nonprofit Employee Scholarship, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the standard online application for enrollment for an upcoming Dog Trainer Course and note at the end of the application that you will be applying for the Scholarship.
- Complete the Scholarship Application below (note: you must complete the standard Dog Trainer Course enrollment application first).
- Provide the supporting documentation below via upload when completing the application form:
Required Supporting Documentation
Please have the following available to upload during the application process:
1) Proof of Qualified Institution’s 501(c)(3), Registered Charity, or state-recognized non-profit status. Allowable proof includes:
- IRS letter of 501(c)(3) determination (US only)
- Charity registration certificate (UK only)
- A statement from a State taxing body certifying that the entity is a nonprofit organization
2) A letter from the Qualified Institution stating that:
- the institution has been existence and has been recognized as a nonprofit organization for at least 2 years.
- you are currently a paid employee of the organization that works at least 20 hours per week.
- you have been a paid employee of the organization for at least 90 days.
- What the institution’s primary purpose, mission and business entails.